Taipei / The Martyr's Shrine
The Martyr's ShrineLocated near the Grand Hotel in Taipei City, the Martyr’s Shrine was built to commemorate soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the country during the War of Resistance against Japan and Civil War between Nationalist Government and the Communist Party. The Martyr’s Shrine was built in 1969, with the main architecture designed similar to Taihe Dian Imperial Palace in Beijing. The grand design symbolizes the braveness and selfless spirits of the martyrs. Covering a large area, with mountains nearby and facing Keelung River, the Martyr’s Shrine is a significant attraction noting the history and culture of Taiwan.
Apart from the grand architectures and designs of the Martyr’s Shrine, another highlight of this scenic spot is the performance of shifting guards at the beginning of each hour. This noble performance often attracts crowds of onlookers from all over the world. When finishing change of shifts, the shifted soldiers will then stand still in front of the Martyr’s Shrine for the next hour like solemn statues with serious facial expressions and manners until next hour. With the noble performance of the honored soldiers and great views of grand architectures, the Martyr’s Shrine is one of the must-see scenic spots for your Taipei travel.
Other nearby attractions include the Grand Hotel, Taipei Fine Arts Museum, Shilin Night Market, Taipei Story House, and Taipei Children's Recreation Center. Visitors are suggested to stay at nearby hotels for enjoying a culinary feast at Shilin Night Market, and explore more of the scenic spots in this area.
1. Take bus route 208, 21, 213, 247, 267, 287, 42, 646, 902, red 2(紅2), or red 3(紅3) to the Martyrs’ Shrine Stop(忠烈祠站) directly.
1. Take MRT Danshui line(捷運淡水線) to Yuanshan MRT Station (圓山捷運站), transfer bus route 267, 646 to Martyrs' Shrine directly.
1. Drive along Zhongshan North Rd(中山北路) towards Beian Rd(北安路) until a roundabout is reached.
Taipei hotels nearby The Martyr's Shrine：
Great Taipei Travel News/Events
- (Taoyuan) Make Music Taiwan - World Music Day Celebration at Novotel Taipei
- (New Taipei City) 2013 Gongliao Ho-hai-yan Rock Festival
- (Taipei) 2013 Yangmingshan Butterfly Festival
- 2013 Fulong International Sand Sculpture Festival in New Taipei City
- 2013 Food Taipei (The 23rd Taipei International Food Show)
- Adorable Movie Stars in “Life of Pi” come from Taipei City Zoo
- Discover Taipei by Taipei MRT - the Enchanting Danshui District
- Discover Taipei by Taipei MRT - Cultural Tour in Shilin area