Taipei / Taiwan Folk Arts Museum
Taiwan Folk Arts MuseumLocated within Beitou Hot Spring area in Beitou District of Taipei City, Taiwan, Taiwan Folk Arts Museum was originally “Jia Shan Hotel”- the most luxurious hot spring hotel in Beitou Area during the period of Japanese colonization, and was also once the guesthouse for Japanese squadron pilots during World War II. Established in 1921, occupying a total area about 2,500 square meters, the area is occupied by the main building of two-story and its annex. It is surrounded by a garden of lush green creating a beautiful scene. This architecture is now one of the largest freestanding Japanese style wood houses dating from the Japanese colonial period.
Later after the war, the place was taken over by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a dormitory for armies and their families, and was also the film set of a traditional drama, “Old Moon Manor” before it was sold to a private owner and converted into a museum.
It was officially recognized as a historic site of Taipei City in September, 1998, and closed down about 5 years for renovations since 2005. Today, visitors may find the main wooden building nicely restored, displaying features that would have been present during the Japanese era, including courtyards, paper screens, bathhouses, rooms, etc. The exhibitions include more than 4,000 pieces of items and artifacts from the Japanese occupation period and the Taiwan indigenous dated 1900s-1940s reflecting the cultures and life of Taiwan back in that time.
Apart from seeing a complete set of exhibitions, visitors may also now experience Japanese tea culture and savor a wide array of Japanese delicacies at the Taiwan Folk Arts Museum.
|opening hours:||10:00-17:30 Tue.- Sun. (off on Monday)
|additional activities:||Guided Tour:
11:00 & 15:00 Sat.-Sun. and Public holidays
|expenditure brief:||Ticket Price:
twd 80/group ticket (group of more than 20 people)
twd 50/child, student, elderly (age over 65)
Free of charge/visitor with disability
The above fees are for reference purposes only; actual costs are informed at the actual venue and we do NOT give any prior notice.
1. Take MRT Danshui line(捷運淡水線) to Xinbeitou Station(捷運新北投站), transfer bus route 230 in front of Guanming Police station(光明派出所) to museum directly.
2. Take MRT Danshui line(捷運淡水線) to Beitou Station(捷運北投站), transfer bus route red 25(紅25) or 230 to museum directly.
Taipei hotels nearby Taiwan Folk Arts Museum：
Great Taipei Travel News/Events
- 2013 Fulong International Sand Sculpture Festival in New Taipei City
- 2013 Food Taipei (The 23rd Taipei International Food Show)
- Novotel Taipei Taoyuan International Airport Named 2013 Top Green Hotel by Business Next
- 2013 COMPUTEX Taipei
- Adorable Movie Stars in “Life of Pi” come from Taipei City Zoo
- Discover Taipei by Taipei MRT - the Enchanting Danshui District
- Discover Taipei by Taipei MRT - Cultural Tour in Shilin area
- Discover Taipei by Taipei MRT - Beitou Hot Spring Tour